Reed Graduate Scheme
The Reed Graduate Scheme has been developing graduates into talented managers and future leaders for over 25 years.
Your 3 year journey with us…
Our three-year Reed Graduate Scheme offers a supportive, progressive, and dynamic career path for talented graduates looking to work for an industry-leading company. Unlike other grad schemes, we have three intakes a year (January, June and September) and every 12 months, you’ll be provided with the opportunity to move to a new role in the Reed Group.
Before applying, take some time to explore this site to find out why our graduates’ and co-members’ feedback led us to become a ‘Top Company for Graduates to Work For’ (JobCrowd) and a ‘Best Place to Work’ on Glassdoor.
- 2:1 Bachelors degree or above (any subject)
- Be commercially-minded and show an understanding of the recruitment industry/market
- Show a desire for continual self-improvement
- Be target-driven, resilient and exhibit exceptional communication skills
- Geographical flexibility – location preferences will always be accounted for when arranging placements; rotation opportunities are frequently based in London or Northampton where our Head Offices are located
- Be eligible to work in the UK on a full-time basis (NB. we cannot offer Visa Sponsorship)
Tell us why you have chosen to apply for the scheme and why you would be a good fit for Reed
(minimum 150 words)
Complete our General Ability Assessment. This is not a measure of intelligence or IQ, however people who perform well in this assessment typically perform well in their chosen role
Discuss your motivations with our Early Talent team and hear more about the roles available and what life at Reed could look like for you
Test Out The Job!
You’ll complete a telephone role play which will give you an insight into the day-to-day job
*this step is only for Sales Executives and Employment Advisors
Find Your Placement
We will align your preferences with the positions available; we strive to place you into the right office with the right team that will help you to reach your maximum potential
A face-to-face or online discussion with one of our senior leaders. They will look for you to be enthusiastic about your potential future with Reed and have a good understanding of what’s expected from our grads
For the first year of the scheme, you will take an operational role in one of the three areas of the Reed Group:
Recruitment Consultant – Reed
- In this role, you will meet qualified and motivated candidates and match them with vacancies that our clients need filled. With uncapped bonus potential, this position is ideal role for those that are result-driven and available UK-wide.
Employment Adviser – Reed in Partnership
- Our Employment Advisers support people with difficult circumstances get back into work. From low confidence to physical disabilities, this role will equip you to help people in the local community in major ways. This role is perfect for those with moral and empathetic motivations and is available UK-wide.
Sales Executive – Reed.co.uk
- Our Sales Executives negotiate advertising packages for external businesses looking to attract jobseekers via Reed.co.uk. This role is digitally-focused and based in Covent Garden (Central London) only.
By now you will have developed invaluable skills that can be transferred into a whole range of career avenues.
Loving the job? Stay on and work your way up to management through our Career Development Framework which rewards those who deliver on targets. You’ll also be given management training to help you make the transition into senior roles.
Want to expand your horizons? As a member of the Graduate Scheme, you’ll have the option to move to another department or area of the Reed Group. Typical roles available on rotation include positions in areas such as: Marketing, Finance, IT, HR, and range of project roles to meet the strategic business growth needs. Please be advised that most of these roles will be based in our Headquarters in London or Northampton.
Whilst your qualifications and prior experience will, of course, influence potential managers, performance in your job at Reed will impress internal stakeholders far more. For example, we have a Legal Assistant with an Art History degree and an IT analyst with a Bachelors in Spanish with Anthropology!
- £23,000 basic salary (up to £27,000 in London)
- Access to a senior mentor and optional graduate buddy
- Ongoing support from the Early Talent team
- Annual appraisal to increase your basic salary
- Flexible career routes and fast-track routes to management
- 3-day induction at the Reed Business School in the Cotswolds
- Industry-leading job training from our dedicated Learning & Development teams
- Professional qualification sponsorship from year two (e.g. CIPD, CIM, Prince2, Harvard HBXCore)
Why Join Reed?
We place a special focus on developing emerging talent and our track record of producing industry leaders for over 25 years shows that we’re good at it.
As a family business with a global reach, there are plenty of opportunities for high-potential individuals to blossom and develop.
We have successfully created a supportive environment where careers are developed and futures are forged.
Feel what it’s like to truly belong.
9th February 2022: University of Birmingham – Interview Tips
23rd February 2022: University of Westminster – Career Discovery for Postgraduates
29th March 2022: City, University of London – Social Sciences Speed Recruitment
Graduate Scheme vs Graduate Job
Our Early Careers Manager, Saveena Bains, spoke to three members of the Reed Graduate Scheme about their experiences on the scheme.
They also discussed:
- Differences between graduate schemes and direct entry jobs
- Transferrable skills you can develop at university
- How to differentiate yourself from other applicants
- Advice for transitioning from university life to full-time work
Graduate Scheme co-member
My career at Reed has been shaped by the Graduate Scheme, from opening doors and endless opportunities to the personalised ongoing support I’ve received from the Early Careers Team. My career has shifted from Recruitment to Law – something I could never have imagined 3 years ago when I was just starting out! I have experienced different areas of Reed and learnt so much about the company beyond my own team, which is all down to the Graduate Scheme
HR Business Partner
The Reed Graduate Scheme helped shape my career as it encouraged me to be really open to new opportunities, learn new things and move out of my comfort zone. By rotating into roles I had no previous experience working in, I had to learn new things quickly and build effective support networks across the business to develop my skills and understanding. Being immersed in such a dynamic environment – with supportive, collaborative people – really built my confidence professionally, and I’m so grateful for the challenge and exposure to different operations that the Graduate Scheme gave me.
Head of HR (Shared Services)
The Reed Graduate Scheme has been brilliant for my career, being able to offer me a variety of roles to get exposure to different areas of HR. This exposure to different areas prepared me to be able to progress quickly at the end of the scheme, from HR Adviser to Head of HR (Shared Services) in just four years. It is a fantastic scheme that can really accelerate your career trajectory.
Employer Brand Specialist
Graduate Scheme co-member
The prospect of post-uni life can be daunting but I really found my feet at Reed. Since joining Reed’s Graduate Scheme in the summer of 2019, I have gained a well-rounded workplace experience which has included roles across Marketing, IT & Recruitment. The highlight of my time so far is winning a High Achiever award for breaking the record for successful candidate placements in one year!