- Office Location: Dragon Court, 27-29 Macklin Street, London WC2B 5LX
- Office Name: Reed Online
- Sector: Software Engineering & Development
- Salary: £Neg - £Neg
- Job Type: Permanent
- Role Type: Full-time
- Job Ref: 424449
Principal Front End Engineer
Reed Online are looking for a Principal Front End Engineer to join their established team based in Holborn, London (remote working until at least June).
As a Principal Engineer you’ll take full ownership of designing and developing the frontend architecture and logic from the ground up, while collaborating on a technically challenging product in a supportive, inclusive, cross-functional team of experts. You will also be researching the ever changing technology landscape and providing ‘structured mentoring’ for front end engineers to continually grow our internal talent. Working alongside our technical architects/Principal Engineers you will help to create our application architecture and development standards across teams and ensure a high quality and consistent output from your team. You will be a huge advocate of TDD, paired programming and continuous integration. You fully believe in automation and incorporate instrumentation too.
Whilst our Principal Engineers will likely have mastered either Back End, Front End or Data Engineering, all our Principal Engineers are capable of facilitating technical discussions and decisions across the entire tech stack. You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to lead and inspire your team and to manage external stakeholders.
What success will look like in 1 year
- Customers find better jobs or candidates easily and with less friction.
- We will have a high quality, maintainable technical platform which takes advantage of the latest in technology.
- You will be part of a team (and providing structured mentoring & support for some of them) of engaged front end developers with a clear vision for front-end development at Reed Online
Capabilities and Competencies
- Loves trying and working with new technology
- Shows a desire to learn and self-improve
- Enjoys problem solving
- Has an Agile approach to software delivery
- Line management experience (desirable)
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Solid experience in implementing functionally correct, secure, robust and fault tolerant applications
- Great design and problem solving skills, with demonstrable experience in building simple implementations to complex problems
- Can communicate and translate business needs into technology to internal and external stakeholders
- Can solve difficult problems without compromising the larger business and technical goals
- Full understanding of the DOM and intricacies of client side performance and browser compatibilities
- Experience building browser APIs and optimising front end performance
- HTML/CSS experience, including concepts like layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Fluent in React with JSX, Redux with commercial experience in building web applications with NodeJS React and SSR
- A portfolio of work to demonstrate: React.js, Redux, NodeJS, HTML5, CSS, Git or other DVCS, Continuous Integration
- Expertise in HTML (including HTML5) & CSS (including CSS3), ES6 and code to W3C standards
- Knowledge of fundamental SEO principles and performance optimization techniques
- Expertise with CSS-preprocessors, like LESS/SASS
- Experience with tools like npm, and task managers like Grunt/Gulp
- Experience with Webpack module bundler
- Experience with Docker containerisation
Join Reed and help us achieve our purpose of improving lives through work.
Proud winners of:
- #1 Recruitment Agency – Glassdoor Best Places To Work 2020
- Glassdoor Top CEOs 2019
- The JobCrowd Top Companies for Graduates to Work For 2021
- The JobCrowd Top Companies for Apprentices to Work For 2021
Our Values, Your Values; Our Future, Your Future
All job offers are subject to satisfactory references and compliance with vetting requirements applicable to the job role. Reed is an equal opportunities employer. We aim to ensure that no candidate or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity. We are a MINDFUL EMPLOYER and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.